We are nearing the end of the year and a season. The holidays are around the corner. From purchasing cooking gadgets, gifts, wrapping, and travel supplies, let’s make space now.
Get Rid of Unwanted Stuff
This is a great time to clear out the items that no longer serve you. Ask yourself these questions, “Do I need it? Do I love it?” Surround yourself with things that make you smile. Set the timer for 30 minutes and go room by room and collect everything you do not like and put it in a pile. Then pack it in your car and get it out of your house. Challenge everyone in your home to do the same. Put some music on and have a good time.
Donate for the Taxes Deduction
It is a great time to donate. There are many people in need of the stuff you no longer want. In addition, if you want the donation receipt for tax purposes, this is the time to get it done.
Make Space for Guests
When creating space for your guests, start early. Time goes so fast this time of year. Some of us use our guest rooms as storage throughout the year. This is the time to get it cleared out and put away. Schedule time to get the guestroom ready to host your friends and family. Here are a few ideas:
- Clear out everything that does not belong in the guest room.
- Stock the closet with hangers and install hooks.
- Check that air mattresses are ready to go and do not have leaks.
- Wash all the bedding.
- Stock the room with tissues and a waste basket.
- Start a basket with items your guest may need or will feel at home; magazines, nightlight, slippers, warm pair of socks, medication, locally made snacks, fruit, and water bottles.
- Create a framed “Welcome” list of your address, phone number, Wi-Fi password and login.
- Leave a note of popular television channels.
- Leave out extra blankets, just in case they get cold, or a small fan if they run hot.
- Add fresh flowers to the room.
- Be sure the guest restroom is clean and stocked.
Enjoy the moments with your loved ones.