It’s that time again. School supply, new clothes and schedule changes. Do you have a child going back to school? It can be difficult gearing up for the change in seasons. Here are a few tips that may help you and your child prepare:
- Gather school supplies from last year to help with your current shopping list. Reuse as much as possible.
- Go through their closets and make sure all their clothes and shoes still fit. If not donate them. (Goodwill has a program for clothes that have stains)
- Create a comfortable workspace. Have the kids participate in this area so they will feel ownership in keeping it clean and organized. Some children concentrate better in their room as others prefer the kitchen table. Be sure to consider different learning styles.
- Label all the containers. This also helps with reading and accountability.
- Be sure there is adequate lighting.
- Create a schedule for your expectations. From the time the child gets home from school. Although you may have an idea of what you want to happen. Get input from the little ones, again this helps with decision making skills and ownership.
- Do you have a family calendar? A dry erase board may be perfect for your family. If you need other suggestions feel free to contact Dayna-Rae.
- Set yourself up for a calm morning. Be sure to have a healthy breakfast. It’s helpful to prepare the backpack before bed so all you have to do is grab and go.
- If your children participate (in a small way) by making their own lunch the odds of them actually eating it is much higher.
- Get a decorative box, bin or folder for your children’s art and graded homework. Keep it in one place so there are no questions when you need to find something. You can review the box and recycle quarterly.Put that on your calendar.
Remember to have fun and take baby steps when changing your habits. If you would like more tips follow us on our Facebook fan page.